Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ELL Group Leaders Needed

English Language Learner (ELL) Group Leaders
If you are a female and you grew up speaking English, we need you. Many of the wives of our international students have expressed a desire to learn conversational English. Would you consider giving 1.5 hours of your time every week or every other week, just 3 or 6 hours a month, in service to international spouses in our community? We will be meeting Thursday nights- 6:30-8:00pm and childcare is provided.

No preparation or special training is necessary. You would simply come to the class and follow the lead teacher's instructions. Your time would be spent practicing basic conversation skills with non-native English speakers while also building relationships with the same group of 2-3 women every week (or every other week). The time commitment would be either weekly or bi-weekly from February 19th until May 14th.

Imagine the difficulty of living in another culture, hundreds of miles away from home, being unable to communicate with many of the people in your environment. Contact Erin at Spouse and Family if you're interested in serving our international community in this way. 858-2315 or spouse@asburyseminary.edu

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

will this group also be available from July?!?

Unknown said...

We do hope to offer the group during the summer and again in the fall. Can I include your name on our volunteer list as a possibility for a group in the future?

Anonymous said...

Hello Erin,
It will probably be good to introduce myself before asking you to put me on the list. :)
My name is Diana Bradean, I'm the wife of Sergiu Bradean, who was admitted to the Doctorate Beeson Program at Asbury, starting with July 1st.
I used to teach English as a second language in schools here in Romania to kids from 3rd grade to 8th grade. And I would like to help the spouse of other students, specially because I'm the spouse of a student, who left everything behind and moved in another country, other culture, other language. I also hope this classes will help me integrate better too.
So if you think I can be of help for this, please put me on the list and let me know what you expect from me.
4HisGlory, Diana.

Unknown said...

Wonderful. We could all certainly benefit from your experience. I'll look forward to meeting you in person in July. We'll decide then how you can be involved, but I'm thrilled that you're interested and equipped to serve our community in this way. Please email me if there is anything you need as you transition to this campus. erin.crisp@asburyseminary.edu

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to meet you too!!!
And I will use your e-mail, because there are a few thing I need to know before we move there in July.
4HisGlory, Diana